To develop and drive the implementation of Agricultural Technical and Procurement strategies to support the Protein Category, in particular red meat.
- Monitor and react to industry and international trends.
- Development, implementation and management of animal welfare policies, procedures and guidelines for the relevant red meat species for the Foods Group in line with international best practice.
- Ensuring residue testing plan is kept up to date and amended if necessary to take into consideration change in farming practices and drug use.
- Management of food safety through compliance to the Brand Integrity Plan.
- Development and implementation of technical, procurement and sourcing strategies for the relevant categories.
- Performs the operational technical role for the Protein department, focusing on farms, feedlots and abattoirs / slaughtering and deboning facilities.
- Network with key players in the industry, suppliers, government, NGOs and research establishments.
- Ensure continuous professional development.
- To develop and drive category relevant technical and procurement initiatives.
- Build and manage relationships with diverse range of suppliers.
- Minimum of 10-15 years relevant technical experience in a similar role.
- Relevant industry understanding / experience is essential.
- A strong passion for food.
- Proven commercial aptitude – ability to understand and use financial indicators.
- Proven ability to multitask and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Proven technical experience within complex supplier disciplines farms to abattoirs / cutting plants.
- Ability to primalise / break red meat carcasses and understand primals and yields.
- Proven ability to interpret technical and commercial strategies within Protein.
- MSc or above in Animal Science.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A