Website Gauteng Provincial Government
- Provide a direct clinical service and manage a psychiatric inpatient or outpatient unit.
- The provision of care, treatment and rehabilitation to mental health care users within the framework of the Mental Health Care Act (No 17 of 2002); involvement in other general psychiatry work as needed.
- Provide outreach services to District Health services and District/ Regional hospitals.
- Teaching and training of medical students, medical officers and psychiatry registrars, as well as other personnel (e.g. nurses, etc.).
- To stimulate, assist with and conduct research relevant to the Gauteng Department of Health and Department of Psychiatry.
- To supervise and manage junior staff, which would include disciplinary responsibilities, if and when necessary. Administrative duties.
- Active participation in hospital management committees.
- To assist with the development of policies and protocols of the hospital.
- Active participation in quality improvement programs including clinical audits, morbidity and mortality meetings and continuous professional development activities.
- To liaise with external stakeholders when appropriate.
- To always maintain professional and ethical conduct.
- This post is a joint appointment with the Division of Psychiatry, University of the Witwatersrand.
- The incumbent will be expected to participate in the teaching program of the department and to provide training to a range of students and healthcare workers.
- Appropriate qualification in psychiatry (FC Psych (SA).
- MMed (Psych) or equivalent qualification recognised by the HPCSA), which allows registration as a specialist psychiatrist with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA).
- Current registration with the HPCSA as an independent specialist psychiatrist.
- Sound clinical knowledge and skills in psychiatry.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to fulfill the required teaching and training requirements.
- Knowledge of legislation, policies and procedures pertaining to mental health care users.
- Adequate interpersonal skills as well as professional and ethical conduct at all times.
- A valid driver’s license.
Company: Gauteng Provincial Government
Job Category: Government
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A