Website Discovery Limited
The candidate will report to the Head of Risk. The successful candidate will be required to, but not limited to, take full accountability for the development and implementation of a complete end to end risk management programme for designated portfolio* on par with best practice.
- Conduct an annual self-assessment of the ERM programme.
- Provide a basis for identifying any areas of potential assurance gaps and duplication of resources within the combined assurance framework.
- Conduct best practice research, recommend and implement solutions to improve the effectiveness of risk management practices across the Group.
- Embed policies and train and support all required staff accordingly.
- Implement a continuous improvement programme such that Discovery is assessed at best practice maturity for risk management, lead on GRM roadmap workstreams and initiatives.
- Perform any activities as required in respect of Discovery’s participation in industry forums and as required by the Head of Risk.
- Develop a structure to give effect to combined assurance and maintain relationships with the key assurance providers.
- Develop and implement tools and templates required for Management and assurance reporting.
- Ensure that the Insurance and Health entities have an established risk appetite, risk tolerances and key risk indicators for all risk classes as well as principal risks.
- Contribute to keeping the team abreast of changes in the environment, best practice and risks affecting the business entities and the Group.
- Develop and obtain approval for the annual combined assurance plans, assess adequacy, recommend corrective solutions for gaps and duplications within the plan.
- Establish, monitor, improve the risk governance structure and reporting requirements of the Insurance and Health entities, aligned with the rest of the Group.
- Facilitate and guide on all risk activities across the Group which include inter alia strategic risk and control assessments (RCAs), Deep Dives, emerging risks, incident management, escalation and reporting, KRI monitoring, mitigation development and monitoring etc.
- Conduct in depth structured analysis into topical and emerging risks within the portfolio.
- Play a trusted advisor role to Management and Executives with regards to leading risk practices and consulting activities.
- Consult with business entities on trends, proactive mitigations and drive initiatives to address key trends.
- Provide Management and the respective entity Board’s with a framework for enterprise risk management.
- Co-ordinate and manage the policy attestation and assurance requirements for all risk policies and report the results to management and the respective Boards.
- Undertake studies, investigations and analysis (including engaging with relevant stakeholders) for identifying risks.
- Monitor and report on progress against the combined assurance plan as well as the framework. Facilitate Mini-Combined Assurance Forums to obtain inputs.
- Develop, implement, maintain risk strategies, risk policies for the Insurance and Health entities, ensure alignment between Group standards, that of subsidiaries and partnerships in the Group.
- Develop and implement a combined assurance strategy, as well as a framework, for the Insurance and Health entities on par with best practice.
- Provide subject matter expertise on risk management issues, incidents and trends.
- Define, implement and maintain a full knowledge database to give effect to risk intelligence and data analytics to ensure that risk reporting at various levels is automated and generates value added information for decision making.
- Handles criticism constrictively and learns from it.
- Lead, manage all allocated staff. Ensuring all staff development and performance is on par with expectations and that staff outputs meet minimum standards.
- Relevant legislative knowledge.
- Ability to analyse, assess various data, break them into component parts, patterns and relationships.
- Works in a systematic, methodical and orderly manner.
- Minimum 5 years experience in managing a team
- Assist the Head of Risk on any risk activity requested on an ad hoc basis.
- Upholds ethics, values and demonstrates integrity.
- Working knowledge of an IT risk is advantageous.
- Minimum Bachelor of Commerce Degree in Finance, Risk, Accounting or Actuarial Science. Relevant risk or internal audit qualification
- Demonstrates a willingness to share information.
- IRMSA (or equivalent) membership and certification
- Financial industry experience will be an advantage, risk management frameworks, enterprise risk management experience, key regulations, strong reporting competencies
- Sets high standards for quality and quantity.
- Advanced Microsoft.
- 8-10 years of experience in an enterprise Risk environment, within the insurance industry
- Actuarial qualification is advantageous
- Development and co-ordination of combined assurance components.
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of others.
- Develop and maintain a trusted advisor type relationship with management of each business unit in the portfolio. Management level being senior and executive.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills.
Required to take the initiative and follow his/her own direction, with the ability to make quick, clear choices which may range from tough choices or considered risks.
- Resolve challenges, conflicts experienced by staff, develop amicable solutions to resolve conflicts and provide clear and timely feedback to staff on performance areas.
- Excellent communication skills. The candidate should speak fluently, excellent written skills that is structured in a logically manner.
- Demonstrate value add on risk activities to business needs and objectives.
- Adapts to changing circumstances.
- Advanced knowledge of ERM processes and programme development, risk policy.
- Demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
Company: Discovery Limited
Job Category: Private
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: KwaDukuza, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A